On 5/25/2012 1:33 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012, andy pugh wrote:
>

>> Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 18:19:39 +0100
>> From: andy pugh<bodge...@gmail.com>
>> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"<emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Commutating Reactor
>>
>> On 25 May 2012 18:00, Dave<e...@dc9.tzo.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> For only generating 1 phase (the missing leg) they are charging some
>>> serious money for those inverters.
>>>
>> They are doing rather more than a typical inverter drive does. They
>> create a smooth 3-phase waveform regardless of load.
>>

> I wonder if a VFD (with suitably tweaked parameters) and 3  inductors would
> do. I suspect VFDs have fairly low switching frequencies (say 4-10 KHz) so
> would need a fair amount of filtering
>
> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics

Many 3 phase input VFDs will run if only two of the phases are connected
- in other words they will run on single phase power.   Usually the
control voltage comes off of only two of the phases.

I saw a web article a few months ago where a guy had connected a VFD to
single phase and in order to fake out the VFD so it would function, he
connected the third input leg to one of the other input legs via
a power capacitor (metal can - continuous duty, etc) .   I didn't save
that link.

If you put a filter choke (line reactor) after the VFD it would smooth
the power output substantially.   When I was with Siemens we had who did
this and the standard recommendation was to oversize the VFD by 30-40%.
But this was for smaller motor applications back then - 3-5 hp etc.
This was before cheap single phase input VFDs were available for 5-7.5
hp motors.

Automation Direct has a 20 hp 230 volt input VFD for about $1100.   Add
a line reactor for another $160 and give it a shot.    They have a 30
day return policy.   Plenty of time to figure out whether or not you can
jury rig it into working.
and a  lot cheaper than a PhasePerfect.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/DURApulse_-_GS3_%28230_-z-_460_VAC_Sensorless_Vector_Control%29/DURApulse_-_GS3_Drive_Units_%28230_-z-_460_VAC_SLV%29

We'd all cheer you on if you want to try this.  :-)

Dave