Hi John,

   Sorry for the delay - just got back from a meeting. I also updated my
  email address so I can post again!! My ISP moved to Google services and
my
  email address changed. The EMC list had blocked posts sent from my new
  address.

I'm guessing your 2.5" facing mill may not be rated at 7.5kW average with
peaks of
  15kW during acceleration and deceleration. Does your facing mill have
  electronic drive controls or is it a plain 3-phase motor with belt
  reduction? I'm guessing our 7.5kW spindle drivers were built with the
  assumption there is a sturdy 3-phase supply to lean on.

   I posted a picture at: [LINK: http://flic.kr/p/c8pc7Y]
http://flic.kr/p/c8pc7Y showing the circuit mod. I
  forget the exact resistor and capacitor values but I just experimented
with
  a 5k and 220uF pair with a 10V bench power supply. To reach 90% of full
  value (9.0V) it took 5 seconds. Using a 1k resistor with a 220uF will
reach
  90% of terminal value in 1 second. My selection gave me about a 2 second
  time constant. Just now I emulated the Heidenhain 0-10Vdc control with a
  bench power supply. Connecting the resistor to the cap to limit the rate
of
  voltage rise on the capacitor and watching the cap voltage reach 9V took
5
  seconds with the 5k resistor. I remember inserting a resistor first and
  making sure the stepped speed program still achieved the RPMs I wanted it
  to. If you program it for 2000RPM and it only hits 1500RPM then choose a
  small resistor value. Somewhere in the 100 ohm to 4.7k ohm should work.
If
  the resistor is too high a value compared to the input impedance of the
  spindle driver you will simply have a drop in voltage at the spindle
driver
  and never achieve the speed you want. So, start with 1k without the
  capacitor and see if that changes your spindle RPMs. If ok then add (1)
or
  (2) 220uF capacitors to suit. This will add 1 to 2 seconds of delay to
slow
  the acceleration and deceleration of the spindle.

   If your spindle driver is analog like mine you may have a good chance of
  modifying your machine too. Old analog is great. No digital protocols or
  acknowledge packets to mess with. If you have schematics to the CNC
  controller, look for the spindle interface lines. If there is just one or
  two shown, you can break the connection and manually control the spindle
  speed with an external bench supply, potentiometer, etc.

   My experience was pretty straight forward looking back on it. It was the
  first rotary phase converter I built. When accelerating OR decelerating
  quickly, the spindle power meter would max out at 180% (meter would peg).
  This is normal for this machine. Accelerating would decrease the CNC's
  voltages and decelerating and dumping the spindle's brake energy into the
  rotary phase converter "grid" would increase the CNC's system voltages.
It
  was apparent to me that is was starving for power while quickly
  accelerating and I did not have a strong enough grid (rotary phase
  converter) to brake against. If the engine is too big for a car and
starved
  for gas or if the tires break loose while downshifting then don't
  accelerate as fast or decelerate as fast. The RC delay fixed it.

   Let me know what you find in your schematics.

   Dennis