On Monday, June 04, 2012 08:58:57 AM Dave did opine:

> If you can, pull off the bus covers and attach some wires to the bus and
> alligator clip to those wires with a good multimeter and leave it set on
> Volts DC while you run the machine.  Be careful though as cheap jumper
> leads are probably not good for 600 volts.
> But most machine tool wire ( the heavier stuff) is rated for 600
> volts.   "Most" good DVM leads are rated for at least 600 volts.   That
> way perhaps you can glance at the meter when you hear the tone change.
>
> Dave

Good idea, on the face of it, but I would highly recommend rigging an
external resistive range multiplier in front of the meter as very few can
withstand that sort of voltage for extended periods of time.  The problem
isn't generally one of heating of the internal resistors, but of exceeding
the end to end voltage rating of the resistors, causing microscopic arcs
from carbon grain to carbon grain, which degrades the resistance to the low
side, sometimes to nearly a dead short for a 20 megohm resistor.  A 20k
ohms/volt multimeter would need 12 megohms as its buildout to make it read
full scale on the 50 u-amp range when connected to 600 volts, but that,
because of the applied voltage, should be a dozen 1 meg, 2 watt resistors
in series in order to distribute the voltage stress across the individual 1
meg resistors and be stable over extended times.  You are interested in the
variation, not the absolute reading.  I'd use 13 1 meg R's just so there
was room to read a slight rise too.

.  A multimeter, like an old Simpson 260, will gradually start reading
high, but eventually will pin the needle and let all the magic smoke out.
Don't ask me how I know. :)

Cheers, Gene
This login session: $13.99