On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:

> The school was very unique in that they encouraged students to use the
> machines and the facilities after hours.  They had a shop supervisor who
> was paid to stay late most weekday nights.  Even the garage was
> available, so we could put our cars on the lifts to do repairs and
> modifications.   When I wasn't chasing girls, I "lived" at school.     :-)
>
> Dave

I expect those days are over everywhere now due to a tragic accident where
a Yale student had a fatal incident involving long hair and a lathe.
Around here, students have full access to a very nice shop, but they have
to have a funding source to use it.  Deep pockets aren't a funding source,
they have to be spending money from a school budget.  After the Yale
incident, they required us to tell the safety office about any rotating
machinery we had in our labs.  I'm pretty disappointed about this whole
situation, a mechanical engineering school of any merit should have student
shops.
Eric