cogoman wrote:
>    450 Oz-in. steppers are pretty hefty devices.
>    I followed the link to the Keling website, and the heftiest motor
> they listed was a maximum of 6.3N.m, which I assume (correct me if I'm
> wrong) means Newton-Meters.  The conversion calculator I used gave me 56
> inch pounds, a little more than a tenth of the torque your steppers
> should be able to put out.  If you get outright stalls with 450 inch
> pounds, you will more often get outright stalls with 56 inch pounds.  If
> you are missing steps, it's probably not the motors' faults.  Something
> else is probably at work here.

Thats inch-POUNDS!  16 times inch-Ounces.
56 In-Lb is 896 Oz-In, so you have made a mistake.  Also, steppers,
ESPECIALLY
with non-microstepping drives, are susceptible to timing variations and
resonance
issues.  If you used a hardware step pulse generator and microstepping
drives such
as the Gecko 201 or 203 drive, you probably would get rid of the errors.

At 1000 RPM, all reasonable steppers have lost significant torque from their
holding torque rating.  But, for peace of mind, and since you would need
to replace
the drives anyway to go with microstepping ones, you might as well go
the servo
route.  It isn't that much more expensive.

Jon