Dave,
I'm not sure that all of you guys on this list are aware of the fact
that the US has introduced metric units since a long time.

In 1866 Congress voted for the metric system, and in 1894 again
administration passed bills in that direction. Only in 1975, President
Gerald Ford signed the Metric Conversion Act which, however, nobody
seems to take notice of. People just didn't want or were too lazy.
Nowadays, the US together with other important countries as Liberia and
Birma are the only ones not using the metric system in the world (look
at the world map at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrisches_Einheitensystem).

Regards
Peter