On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:09:02 John Stewart did opine:

> Me again;
>
> Ok - top (with key press "1") shows 2 cpus, one idle ALL the time.
>
> With the LinuxCNC 2.5 "release-version", downloaded about a month ago,
> The "taskset" is not getting called as it should be.
>
> So, LinuxCNC runs on CPU0, along with everything else.
>
> Now to find out where that taskset should be getting called from. At
> least I can turn on ethernet on my linuxcnc computer, because the issue
> is getting close to being resolved.
>
> This stuff should be put in the "Troubleshooting" document - following
> Kent's instructions (as great as they are) does not get one to the
> solution.
>

> Thanks;
>
> John Stewart.

Sounds like you have it John.  As a side note, rtai looks for that idle cpu
and uses it for all the realtime stuff.  But because of the isolcpus, it is
so isolated that top, htop, gkrellm etc, cannot access it to see how busy
it is so it always _looks_ idle.  But it isn't idle when linuxcnc is
running.

Cheers, Gene
It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters.
                -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 B.C. - A.D. 65)