On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:41 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you had a machine with conventional XYZ and a radial cutter motion
> too. (For example a HBM like my dad's)
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lorjlRbUi9B2VQy0Cd0KcNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
>
> If that was CNC you could bore spherical cavities and external radii.
>
> I guess that the radial slide on the chuck would be a U axis (then a V
> axis then a U axis...).

My experience tells me the determination of the symbol (XYZABCUVW) of the
slide axis on the rotary motion is determined by the position of the slide
when in home position. In reality you could assign any symbol to it but
then talking about it to others would result in the need to explain it in
greater detail for the other person to be able to understand. The only
requirement is to match the symbols of the machine motion elements to the
symbols in the NC program.
During machine movement the symbol would not change from U to V just
because the orientation changes unless  the NC program requires the change.
I think this would be VERY difficult to program.

> LinuxCNC can't do G2 G3 in the ZU plane. So how would you set up such a
> machine?
>
> I guess you could make cartesian moves in VYZ and curves in XZ? Would
> this be the method of choice? Viewing the machine as in inverted lathe
> rather than a milling machine this nomenclature makes an amount of
> sense.
>
> Is the inability to do curves in anything but the XY YZ and XZ planes
> deeply hard-coded, or would it be a trivial modification to add?
> (XY, XZ, XU, XV, XW, YZ, YU, YV, YW, ZU, ZV, ZW, UV, UW, VW is rather
> more planes than fit comfortably)
>
> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.