> Unforch, it doesn't appear they want any business from my side of the
> pond, no links to individual products at all, and a very limited web
> page, looks like a line card from a distributer for me.
>
> And, while those are better prices, one would need one on each side of
> the nut, which puts that at about the same as the cost of the screw.
> I'll cobble up something before I make swarf with it though.

Welcome to the UK. Industrial supplies that do have prices online tend to be
daylight robbery with violence. For example, looking at online prices only;
black mild steel costs ~5 times as much as bright machined aluminium. A lot
of companies won't respond to e-mail, or if they do, it's to request a phone
call. Other companies will ignore phone calls, but reply to e-mails.
*mutter*

That said, my lathe (which has sealed ballscrew bearings) has telescopic
springs on half of the Z axis, with the X axis being enclosed. The other
half *should* have a spring cover, but since it was broken I left it alone.
This has not resulted in any problems yet. Turning has been limited to
fairly soft materials though, so no sparks from CBN inserts.

The mill has a sheet of PU over the ways, which does a surprisingly
effective job, I appreciate this doesn't work on lathes - but I can't see
any mention of the type of machine you're using at the moment.

Cheers
Ben