On 12 January 2013 02:25, Ed Nisley <ed.08.nis...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I think a HAL-based extruder model that could include second- and
> third-order effects should provide better control than a simple
> linear/angular axis

The laser rastering work might be relevant, that requires a constant
photon density in much the same way as FDM requires a constant
material density.
The example on the Wiki (G-raster?) is really very clever. Much
cleverer than it would have needed to be if inserted at a more
sensible layer.

> Similarly, ladder logic offers interesting possibilities for an extruder
> "tool changer".

Don't discount HAL and custom comps in this area.

> The 7i76 has enough robust digital outputs to drive SSRs for heaters and
> whatnot, with HAL components closing the temperature loops.

I keep trying to persuade Pete to make an SSR / thermocouple module.
It's possible that one is on the way. It seems to me like a really
useful 7i76 smart-serail plug-in board.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.