On Sunday 10 February 2013 18:52:38 Leonardo Marsaglia did opine:
Message additions Copyright Sunday 10 February 2013 by Gene Heskett

> Thank you guys for your recomendations. I've been trying and succeded
> (more or less) using oscillators like the ones from the PC switching
> power supplies, all of this based on  DIY circuits found on the
> internet. The thing is that, since I'm planning to use LCNC to move the
> coil along the part, it would be pretty awesome if the system could
> handle the heater control part too.
>
> Anyway, the real deal here is always how to have a clean square signal
> to fire the igbt's. I'm using dedicated IC's to  turn on and of the
> transistors the one I used is TL494, but the matter is I always have
> little spikes at the output of the firing IC's, not at the oscillator's
> output. I couldn't attach a picture of the scope since is too big.
>
> Those spikes have a duration of about 1 uS, but I don't know if this is
> secure and I don't want to blow up the igbt's. In the picture there's
> only one of the signals, there's the other one 180؛ phased that has the
> same problem.

1 microsecond can be an eternity to an IGBT.  As for your spikes, make sure
that the scope is /not/ grounded thru its power cordage, but is grounded
locally to your circuit.  Even a 6" ground lead can and often will show
over voltage spikes where there really aren't any.

> Again thanks a lot for your help, I decided to talk here about this
> because I know there's a lot of people here with way too much knowledge
> about power electronics, so If you can help me a little I would be very
> thankful!
>
> Leonardo.
>
> 2013/2/8 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>
>
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, andy pugh wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:00:58 +0200
> > > From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> > >
> > >     <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> > >
> > > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
> > > <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > >
> > > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Signal generator for induction heating

> > > That would be 90 degrees phase-shift I think, so not quite right.
> > >
> > > siggen might be the way to go. I think there are bridge control
> > > chips that handle the dead-time in hardware, and that might be a
> > > more reliable approach.
> > >
> > > I think that the three-phase PWMgen on Mesa cards has complementary
> > > signals, with deadband, that might be worth putting an oscilloscope
> > > on.
> > >
> > > --
> > > atp
> > > If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> > > http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
> >
> > This sounds like an ideal application for an Arduino (or cheaper
> > microprocessor) with an _isolated_ serial link to set the parameters.
> > Many little Micros have PWM hardware that will generate
> > non-overlapping push pull
> > drive though it may be harder to find one that can adjust the
> > frequency and duty cycle independently.

Cheers, Gene
My views
Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to fill the time alloted it.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...