Viesturs,

Am 16.02.2013 16:32, schrieb Viesturs La-cis:
/snip... oversized for aluminum.
> Do You mean oversized in terms of diameter? I am going for 1 kW Kress
> spindle, it will handle that.
No, I meant hardness. Diameter depends purely on your needs. Only in the
case you mill anodized aluminum, with surface hardness of carborundum,
carbide is advised to keep tool wear down. Look up cutting speed in your
handbooks, you will be surprised!
> In university I found out that better than pure tap water would be
> mixing the water with soda (Na2CO3).

Making the fluid basic (pH over 7) is mainly to prevent corrosion of the
machine. The soda has little influence on cutting. I dry my mill every
time after use, so I have no worry. Water is a good coolant, and
especially useful in the case of aluminum (AFAIK, not yet completely
understood) because it reacts with alu in the very instant of cutting,
yielding a microscopic aluminum oxide skin on the chip's surface, thus
preventing their sticking (micro-welding) to the tool and among one
another. Oil is good to reduce friction when working in steel.
> Yes, I know about the need of coolant. As I already have been adviced
> before, mist coolant spray is recommended for aluminium, but this time
> my budget is very very tight.
Besides, flooding flushes the chips away effectively, and at 20 000
turns per minute you get a lot of chips!

Thank You, their pricing seems much better!

I have bought a set of 9 collets plus nut from them last year under EUR 100.

Best regards

Peter