On Saturday 16 February 2013 21:11:50 Jon Elson did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > and climb cutting with a single flute cannot be done in metal, the
> > table will be pulled forward, the next time the edge comes around its
> > too deep a cut & the mill snaps off.
>
> Well, on a tight machine, you can climb mill in aluminum, at least.  it
> leaves a much
> better surface finish.  I think with any number of flutes, if the table
> can be pulled
> ahead of the feed due to slack leadscrew nuts, then climb milling is
> dangerous.
> I do almost all my work in the climb direction without problems, but my
> mill has a known backlash of about .001".

Whereas getting mine under .003", and keeping it there for more than an
hour is something I mark on the calendar. :(

> Jon

Cheers, Gene
My views
And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...