On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Dave wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:01:45 -0500
> From: Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Latency
>
> Unless I am reading that incorrectly, that appears to be fine for a 1 ms
> servo thread, but would not work well for direct stepper control.
>
> The D525MW boards are really nice.   I have used a lot of them over the
> last year plus and I have a bit of stockpile built up right now, but the
> Intel 525 CPU is being phased out.  The Intel D525MW board is already
> discontinued but
> they have extended production probably because the D525MW replacements
> have so many problems.  The newer Intel D2700MUD, 2500, etc boards video
> chip is only Windows 7 32 bit compatible which is really silly.
> The Intel manager who made that decision must have been using medical
> marijuana at the time!
>
> Jetway has a "long term available" D525 board but it is about $200 now
> and there is no assurance that they will not be phased this year also.
>
> Also PCI slots are getting rarer on the MITX boards.  So when you take
> all of the available MITX boards, and eliminate the newer Intel CPUs,
> and the boards without PCI slots, you end up with very few offerings.
>
> That's my take on the current Motherboard situation..
>
> Hence my question about the newer Intel Design MITX boards.
>
> I'd like to hear other viewpoints if you have differing opinions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

I think I'll order this one to try out today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128585

Whether ubuntu 10.04 will run on this is unknown however

I am not a great fan of the Atoms as they are quite slow and have hidden
latency problems(They have great latency if you dont do any I/O). The AMD
APU's run circles around the Atoms, the Intel Celeron 847s (and 743s) should
as well.

> On 3/25/2013 6:38 AM, Anders Wallin wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Dave<e...@dc9.tzo.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Has anyone tried running the latency test on the Intel H61, H77, or Z77
>>> design motherboards using a CPU with the integrated HD graphics?
>>>

>> Intel DH61AG  + i3 2120T 2.6 GHz LGA1155
>> http://www.anderswallin.net/2012/12/latency-histogram/
>>
>> It would be great if there was a latency-test that would automatically
>> upload results + hardware/software-configuration to a web-hosted database...
>>
>> Anders

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)