--- On Mon, 3/25/13, Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:

> From: Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Cable drive for a gas torch pattern follower?
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Monday, March 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
>
> I don't know if you have seen the Torchmate version or not
> before but
> here are some similar picts and discussion.
>
> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_plasma_waterjet_machines/31685-cnc_retrofit_heath_torchmate_upright_magnetic_follower_shape_cutter.html

Interesting info there. Finally remembered what this has been used on quite a
bit. Look up wall plotter. The math has already been done many times.

Most use only two cables or chains and motors, relying on gravity to keep the
pen in tension. They have issues with imprecision and slack in the upper
corners. Without a tension system they have to be slow so the pen doesn't
wobble all over the place.

To translate this to a horizontal system would require some way to keep tension
to the end of the arm.

How I'd connect the cables to the arm is to put a washer on the end of each
cable with a hole just large enough to fit over the magnetic drive shaft. That
would ensure all the cables are pulling on exactly the same point and easy to
slip off for reversion to pattern follower use.