Hi Doug

> I will send you the image tonight or tomorrow night.

Sorry for being unclear, but I can't do anything with just _one_ image.
The reconstruction of a high field from a single image can't be
automated (at least to day) in general.

The only think I can do it following your approach, interpret the image
as a height field, generate C-Code and simulate the result.

A general personal comment: I'd prefer a stronger
transformation/abstraction of the image than milling it as a relief: E.G:

  http://goo.gl/EPYeL

You could also use lines and change the depth of cut to recreate the
image as shadow.

Might still be to simple uses 5axis machining it'd be nice to tilt the
holes in a way that time image is only visible om certain point of view
or under certain lighting condition.

  http://goo.gl/nKVX2

This is 3D Printed, but could be milled as well.

Or mill/grind a free form lens projecting the image, if the sun shined
down in the right angle:

  http://lgg.epfl.ch/caustics

(Sorry for teasing, but the software is not published.)

See you
Florian