On 5/10/2013 3:05 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 10 May 2013 03:28, Norton Allen <al...@huarp.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> In this remote configuration, at the moment I do not have access to the
>> graphical display. Is there a way to alter the configuration so I can
>> start up from the command line without a GUI interface?
> You can, but it might not help.
>
> <...>
> If you can ssh into the remote box then you can just halcmd unlinkp
> axis.N.max-limit-in (or whatever that pin is called) then halcmd setp
> axis.N.home

Norton:

To follow on Andy's "If you can ssh...", what is your overall situation
here?

Is the remote box running a regular LinuxCNC (or EMC2 if earlier) over
Ubuntu? If you can ssh into it and if your account permissions allow you
to execute 'sudo' commands. then you can gain access to the entire
desktop. Just enable the 'Remote Desktop' on the remote box and connect
to it with a VNC client on your local box (such as
"Applications/Internet/Remote Desktop Viewer" from the menu bar on a
Ubuntu 10.04 box). Ubuntu's documentation of all this is pretty awful.
Try resources such as
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-266981.html.

OK, so the VNC protocol on which Remote Desktop is based can seem as
slow as molasses in January (do people in the southern hemisphere use
molasses?), which I expect the tcp/ip packet latency over the multiple
gateways implicit in a 3000 mile journey exaggerates. Still, I've found
it helpful where simple command-line access via ssh or single X-client
access wasn't enough. One respondent in the URL noted above points out
some alternatives to VNC. It's all a matter of how desperate you are:-)

A quick Internet search took me to your CV based on which I could hazard
an educated guess but I wonder if you are at liberty to tell us what
this linear actuator is pushing back and forth?

Regards,
Kent

PS - I know this final thought is elementary and I don't mean to be
patronizing, but all this is easier to work out if you start with a 2-PC
setup in your lab with one running a LinuxCNC simulator. Both the remote
access and the LinuxCNC tricks being offered up can be freely exercised
without danger of borking the remote host.