On 15.06.13 15:00, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> I've seen some setups where the filament loop closed a switch when it
> began getting 'tight' and triggered the spool to unwind a bit.

But if that isn't what the "filament loop" always does, then do current
printer implementations just drag the spool with the filament feed
capstan, leading to loss of any filament loop soon after starting?

I don't recall whether the old Pertec tape drives used switches or a
potentiometer (allowing PID control of the unspooling motor), but they
maintained a tape loop at speed. ... OK, I scuttled down to the garage,
and climbed the shelving - it's a slotted vane, plus microswitch on a
cam with about three detents.

At the slow filament speeds, a couple of microswitches - one for "hurry
up", and one for below average speed, sound adequate.

Erik

--
>  - Not all systems support hard links

Rolls eyes. Sure, but all _my_ systems do! UNIX dammit!
                                           - Cameron Simpson, on mutt ML.