On 06/13/2013 06:12 PM, Charles Buckley wrote:
> 1) None of the current GUIs are really good for this,

I've been using http://gcode.ws/ to visualize the actual paths within
each layer, but that's probably too weird for most folks.

> Keeping the spool sync'd with the filament feed rate

Recently bumped on my priority list: a powered filament feeder that
automagically maintains the loop feeding the extruder, specifically to
eliminate the usual feed tube with all the usual problems. The drive
gear/pulley/wheel ramming filament into the hot end shouldn't also drag
filament through a long tube!

I think the simplest approach will be a filament position sensor so a
HAL circuit can run the feed motor as needed to maintain the loop
height. Those I've seen in the wild can benefit from HAL...

Given a filament position station, I have a notion that would add
two-axis filament diameter sensing. That can feed into a HAL component
that would produce the filament area, which could then twiddle the feed
on the fly.

> PWM to control the heating element.

With control based on actual thermal properties and measurements, rather
than by-guess-and-by-gosh. I just laid in a stock of DC-DC SSRs for that
very purpose!

> 4) Temperature reading.

Dan Newman wrote some code for the TC4 thermocouple shield that converts
it to a USB HID hal_input device that I'll be using with my M2 printer:

http://softsolder.com/2013/06/10/tc4server-eagle-hal-device/

> pushing as much of the machining steps into hardware as possible.

I really want to use automagic probing to compensate for platform shape
& positioning, because there don't seem any cheap, flat, removable
hotplates out there. Methinks this one is easier to fix in the
kinematics than in the metal; the shape of the platform changes as it
heats up and nobody wants to measure a hot platform by hand.

The M2 is rigid enough to do XY axis homing once per session and be done
with it, but the general case probably requires that on a per-print
basis along with the platform compensation.

Let many LinuxCNC installations blossom!

--
Ed
softsolder.com