On 6/16/2013 6:57 AM, Ed Nisley wrote:
> On 06/16/2013 04:24 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
>
>> current  printer implementations just drag the spool
>>
>   >  with the filament feed capstan
>
> It's brutally simple: the filament drive hauls filament through a
> flexible tube that arches between a holder at the spool and the
> extruder, so the drive must overcome the tension required to unroll the
> spool plus the friction required to drag the filament:
>
> http://softsolder.com/2013/04/24/makergear-m2-filament-guide-tube-friction/
>
> Bowden drives put the feed at the spool end of the guide tube, which
> makes retraction less effective.
>

>> a couple of microswitches
>>
> The gotcha is that the filament loop thrashes around as the extruder
> head zips back and forth. On the M2, that's only along the X axis, but
> printers like the Ultimaker and Replicator move the extruder along both
> X and Y. I'm not sure where the sensor would be happiest, because you
> don't want to constrain the loop motion too much: pinning it to a board
> at the top of the arch might be too confining.

This all sounds very much like the wire drive system used by a mig
welder .. along with the associated problems, but probably at a smaller
scale
Feeding aluminum wire with a mig welder is tough because it does not
like to be pushed, so they came up with spool guns and there was also at
least
one novel push/pull system developed that had a tugger system in the gun
and a pusher system in the welding machine that worked together.   It
was very complicated and
expensive.

Dave Cole