Hi John

> The two starting places I'm aware of, in case you end up writing
> your own, are OpenSCAM (currently 3D only, but the author seems
> to think 5D, and lathes are possible) ...

Oh, interesting project, seams to be quite complex and offer a lot of
features. I'll take a look at the code and see if it seams to be easy to
add 5 axis support. Unfortunately it uses it's own G-Code interpreter.

> Anders Wallin's cutsim (library w/no app, 5D capabilities unknown).

I'll download the code and take a look. Thanks. Seams like there is some
kind of application, tough it might just be a kind of demo.

> Let me know if you take this route and get serious about it;
> I might like to lend a hand.

Well, not sure yet. I need a simulation tool for a complex project, but
the milling has to be done within about four weeks and I need to write a
set of scripts to generate the tool paths first so there might be no
time for the simulation and I might end up testing the code using XPS
form on the actual machine. But I don't like his idea as the movements
will be complex, often very close to tool/workpiece or tool/machine
collisions and use the working area of the machine to the very last mm.

The machine is not LinuxCNC powered this case, it has a Siemens
Sinumeric 840D controller, but I think LinuxCNC is the best G-Code
interpreter so I think it would be a good idea to use it.

vismach, that Dave pointed me to is probably a good point to start. I'm
thinking about using VTK (www.vtk.org) for a voxel based volumetric
simulation of the material removal process and for visualization.

I'll see if I can find out how to get the simulated took path from LinuxCNC.

It's off-topic, but does anyone know if the Sinumeric control offers a
'simulation' mode, so the G-Code is interpreted by Sinumeric but all
machine movement is disabled and the coordinates a just streamed to a
client. Kuka robots offer this for simulation, to ensure a simulation
result as close to the real movement as possible.

See you
Florian