On Thursday 18 July 2013 10:44:58 Michael Haberler did opine:

> I'd be interested in what was your biggest-sized G-code program ever
>
> good enough: file size, number of lines - just a rough indication is
> fine
>
> ---
>
> background: I am considering alternative internal representations of
> G-code and want to get a handle on the problem size
>
> thanks!
>
> - Michael

The answer to that is likely highly dependent on whether it was hand carved
code, or generated by some of our less intelligent code generators. I have
seen code that I could write in nested loops in 150 LOC maximum, occupy
10,000+ LOC when generated by a poor generator.

IMO when one does not have a tool changer, which I don't on either machine,
functions that require their own tool should be broken out into a function
file per tool.  This is of course not a working proposition for a
production line machine with a multiple tool auto changing rack.  There,
1,000k+ LOC might not be out of reach.

I believe the practical limit is probably the initial scan for errors since
I believe it all has to be loaded into memory.  I know I get rather bored
when it takes 20 minutes to do this initial scan for 200 lines of recursive
code.  I've been known to reset the machine because its not interruptible,
and edit the code to take a bigger byte than my toy mill is comfortable
with since its not exactly a paragon of either horse power or rigidity.

Probably the most complex files I have ATM that were auto-generated, were
generated by pcb2gcode.  A fairly small board, 1.3"x2.15" both 'etch' files
are under 7,000 LOC each according to wc -l.

But I'd hate to see the files that carved that toyota engine block I saw
being carved on youtube. I could believe a million or more LOC for that.
And of course that means gigabytes of dram if its all pulled into memory at
load/scan time.

I don't envy what you are undertaking to do, simply because the answers are
going to be VERY wide ranging.

Cheers, Gene
My views
* dpkg ponders: 'C++' should have been called 'D'
                -- #Debian
         law-abiding citizens.