On 08/06/2013 08:17 AM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Too early in the morning and still on first cup of coffee but: if you are
>> within the 1/4
>> step (null) then increased feedback of some kind won't fix it.
>>

> It does fix it.  The feedback will cause the control loop to shift the
> commanded position away so that you ARE on the upslope of the torque
> curve.  Its fundamentally how servos work.  You need to develop
> Q(quadrature) current(flux) to get torque.  The D(direct) current doesn't
> do any work.  Technically, once you have feedback in a stepper system you
> can fully servo it and not require any 'holding current' if the application
> doesn't currently demand it.  The fixed current most stepper drivers use is
> only because they don't know where they are in the DQ frame.  So they
> provide a ton of D and shaft error shifts the angle to produce some Q.

With much study, a fair amount of work and money, one 'could' get a
stepper to act like a servo (except for the rapid torque fall-off at
higher speeds, and resonance zones within the operating RPM range). But
why bother when a real servo acts just like a servo?

In my opinion, steppers fill a need for lower cost, and simplicity. If
one needs to add complexity or cost to a stepper to get it to work, just
use a servo.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/