On Sunday 22 September 2013 00:25:35 Jon Elson did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Don't these folks have an NRE fee too, Andy?
>
> E-Teknet waives the NRE fee on orders of ten or less, as a prototype.
> Then, if you make more boards later, they also waive the NRE fee, as
> long as there are no changes.  They do sell by the square inch.
>
> > This board is 6.05" wide, and 8 & change inches long, not exactly one
> > of todays postage stamps, at least 50 square inches. 2 layer only,
> > lots of thru via's.
>
> Does your board actually need to be 6 x 8"?  That is a large board by
> today's
> standards.  You might be able to make it quite a bit smaller.  There is
> no charge
> for through holes and vias.  E-teknet.com has been VERY good for me, not
> the cheapest, but the quality has been excellent.  I have had them do
> over 200 different designs, never had a problem!  That is more than I
> can say for a number of US manufacturers that I caught skipping the
> electrical test when I had paid for it.  That is a blacklist crime in
> my book.

Absolutely!

> E-teknet (like most other manufacturers) needs Gerber photoplot and
> Excellon drill files.  Most charge extra if you provide other forms of
> design data.
>
> Jon

1. The width of the board is largely determined by a row of IC's located at
both ends of a 40 pin, dual row .1" spacing socket for additional boards
with that finger stock pattern on the end.  IOW the old, 30 year old, stuff
has to fit it, which determines the length of the socket.

2. The length is largely determined by there being 8 such sockets, spaced
on a nominally 1" grid because that is the thickness of the cartridge case
that contains these boards.  Traces are thin now, and isolation cuts are
about .004" now, so it just isn't practical to think of a shrink unless we
redo every accessory board ever made for the old girl.  As a hobbiest
effort, the cost of that to the potential user makes that a non-starter.

So how much do they charge per sq inch?

They can't work from eagles .brd files?

I'll see if I can get some answers from their site tomorrow late.  I have
to put a fresh regulator and brushes in the GMC's alternator tomorrow,
after 120k miles something is getting funkity, I would have today but 2+"
of precip changed my mind for me.

Thanks for the name Jon.

Cheers, Gene
Your goose is cooked.