On Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 09:12 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 7 October 2013 13:57, Jeff Epler <jep...@unpythonic.net> wrote:
> > One problem with your suggestion (aside from needing somebody to implement
> > it)
> > is that using e.g., the left arrow key selects the X axis for jogging.
>
> That is actually a feature I have found more of a curse than a
> blessing, actually.
> This is partly due to a limitation on my mill/lathe machine keyboard.
> It has no page-up or page-down keys, so I press Z then + or - to jog
> the milling head, and arrow keys to move X and Y. But then I need to
> re-select Z after jogging in XY as my deliberate selection is
> over-ridden.

I've had the exact same experience.

The mental model for jogging has a bit of strangeness.  The plus and
minus keys always jog the active axis.  The arrow keys always jog
specific axes, AND they change the active axis.  It is possible to jog
an axis that isn't the active one, by hitting more than one arrow key
at once.  Without actual testing (can't do right now), I'm not sure what
happens in that case.  Consider the following:

1) press up arrow
active axis becomes Y, and Y starts moving
2) while still holding up, press left arrow
active axis becomes X?  X and Y are both moving, 45 degree net move
3) release left arrow
active axis remains X?  Y is still moving
4) release up arrow
active axis remains X?  nothing moving

How does it differ if you release the up arrow first?

I don't think there is anything about jogging that inherently requires an
"active axis".  If you only have one set of jog buttons (or one wheel),
then the concept of an active axis is required so you know which axis
the buttons or wheel will move.  But you can also have dedicated
buttons for an axis (or you can have multiple wheels).  I'm not sure
if using a dedicated button or wheel should change the "active axis".

The wheel interface to motion is agnostic.  It has separate inputs
for each axis, and an enable for each axis.  If you have only one
wheel, you connect its position to every axis, and enable one at
a time using whatever your selection mechanism is (physical
switch or AXIS's active axis output).  If you have one wheel per
axis, you connect each one's position independently and enable
them all the time.  (You might have a wheel disable switch to
prevent accidental knob turning from moving things, that is an
integrator choice just like the number of wheels.)

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm