On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:19:39 +0200, you wrote:

>> Reminds me - must be able to toggle spindle off/on during pause.
>
>thats a good point, that would likely also suggest at-speed before reentry if
>the spindle is turned on
>
>if we use the offset pose scheme this is how it could work for resume:
>
>honor NML spindle commands
>if the resume offset pose is zero:
>   wait for at-speed before starting reentry move
>else:
>   move to resume pose
>   wait for at-speed at resume pose
>   start reentry move
>
>sounds right?

Sounds OK to me - oops - also needs same for coolant.

For those spindles without rpm sensors must wait for a defined time to
allow spindle up to speed before resuming moves. For instance my router
has a high speed spindle, it takes it 2.5 seconds to get to full speed
from stopped.

In both Mach and my third party controller, spindle on delay is part of
configuration setup.

>whatever we decide, the choices will be limited by the 'react to HAL pin'
>model in the - currently limited - context of actions initiated by motion
>itself during pause
>a more general solution would be possible if we had a way for say a Python HAL
>component to issue motion commands
>this would suggest a generalisation of the 'switchable motion queue' concept:
>on certain actions, say pause, motion switches to a different queue and
>processes commands from there until a switchback operation is generated
>now commands to this alternate queue could come from a HALcomp - for
>programmable behavior; or an interpreter - for MDI during pause
>'pause' gets a slightly different meaning: besides 'rest this queue' it also
>means 'switch to an empty queue until told otherwise'
>the switching operations need thought wrt saving/restoring state

The way M6 is processed (with Les Newell's fix) would be ideal if it
could be integrated somehow into the pause behaviour.

I guess that Stop, Pause and M6 all have their own unique code and ways
of handling movement and queues, when in reality M6 is really just a
pause with a few additional commands?

Steve Blackmore