Walter,

I have not been following this thread, so I may be talking out of school,
but don't you just need to have linuxcncrsh run on the BBB running linuxcnc?
That simply requires 'loadusr linuxcnc" in the hal file or
DISPLAY=linuxcncrsh in the ini file. It then starts with linuxcnc and does
not need to be separately started.  It is just a simple socket connection
which can be tested with telnet for example:
telnet <machine name> 5007

On the other BBB use your favorite language or script to open an ordinary
socket connection to the appropriate machine and port.

Or is there something more I am missing here?

Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the feedback.  I am facing another challenge... how do I start
linuxcncrsh remotely?

I can write up a script to login to the remote machine (over ssh, let's
say), but linuxcncrsh requires a telnet connection and the BBB doesn't have
that available (I think).
I also get an error when trying to start linuxcncrsh on the BBB no matter
what config I use.

emc/usr_intf/emcrsh.cc 2838: can't connect to emc

I have poked around lots and still cannot find any real answer to this.
Someone out there must have figured this out... help!