On Tue, 6 May 2014 14:45:16 +0100, you wrote:

>On 5 May 2014 23:49, Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:
>> MDF and just two bolts - no wonder it turns tapered :) Needs to be
>> bolted down to something rigid enough to enable you to pull the twist
>> out of the bed.
>
>This does, of course, go against all the standard tenets of lathe
>design. Not unexpected for machines not manufactured with any
>consideration of lathe design, perhaps.

What are those standard tenets?

The cheap Sieg lathes and clones have the similar bed designs to
Myfords. Ladder type with webs (rungs) between two sides. Some have 6
mounting points, some 4, others may have 3. Unfortunately, and like
later Myfords, they use dubious quality castings from various Chinese
foundries and they are prone to warping. 4 feet/mounting points are good
- you can usually pull any twist out of them. Also most Sieg and clones
have much lighter bases with less rungs than Myfords - simply made to a
price.

If you look at

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page2.html

You will see they have 4 mounting points and you will notice that nearly
all are fitted on "levelling" blocks.

The previous link to Chris Heapey's page is a pretty standard procedure
for machine installers and exactly what Myford themselves would have
done.

You put a Myford on an uneven floor, even fitted to it's relatively
substantial factory cabinet, and don't do the leveling procedure on
Chris's page, it will turn tapered.

As for three bolt mounting - I can't think of any quality lathe with
less than 4

None of the Myford, Dean Smith & Grace, Colchester, Boxford, Harrison,
and the many Swiss lathes I worked on had three bolt mountings?

Steve Blackmore