On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 03:21:01PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 06 September 2014 12:00:20 Tomaz T. did opine
> And Gene did reply:
> > Commenting out  LP line in modules doesn't help, and also
> > uncommenting install parport_pc /bin/true didn't
> > in /etc/modprobe.d/linuxcnc.conf
> >

> If the std linux parport driver is available, and udev loads it, the
> results are similar.

No, that has not been true for a long time now.

Since version 2.4.0 (2010), linuxcnc has by default cooperated with the
Linux parallel port drivers, so hal_parport and other parport-using
drivers generally do not interfere with or experience interference from
the kernel parport_pc driver.

For that reason, systems installed since that time have the modprobe.d
line that would disable parport_pc commented out by default.

One great advantage of this, which we have probably not evangelized hard
enough (or scrubbed away all documentation to the contrary), is the
ability to refer to parports by their linux numbering, not worrying
about I/O port addresses:
    loadrt hal_parport cfg=0
points at the system's default parallel port, if linux detected one.
Super easy, and it even worked on my system where the only parport is a
PCI-E one!

Some people may still feel more comfortable with parport_pc not loaded.
This reduces the risk that some linux software (such as the printing
system) will touch the port, causing the attached CNC to do something
unexpected.  Those people can uncomment the line or take more drastic
measures if they prefer.  (best possible measure to take: a proper
physical estop chain so this doesn't happen even when somebody boots
windows 98 from cdrom or whatever crazy thing you might imagine)

Jeff