On Friday 05 December 2014 11:03:36 andy pugh did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 4 December 2014 at 11:33, Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I went back out to the cabinets, counted slots and did a bit of
> > multiplication. I was staring at the gutted remains of a one terabyte
> > RAID array. The first 500 gigabyte hard drives had just been
> > introduced. Amazing to think that for a street price of around $1K a
> > person could hold in one hand the same amount of data that only a
> > few years before required that multi-ton, several million $
> > multi-kilowatt sucking behemoth - and that pair of drives would be
> > far more reliable.
>
> The comparison that boggles me is the 16GB thumb-drive and the 16k RAM
> Pack for the ZX81.
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/ZX81_Sinclair_Research_ad
> vert.jpg It's the thing stuck on the back.
>
> Not just the volume of Sinclair RAM packs that would be needed to hold
> 1,000,000 of them, but the power consumption. It consumed  100mA.
> So, 50mW per pack = 500kW for the 16GB thumb drive.

Chuckle, as usual Andy, you place the state of our art in its proper
perspective.  I am reminded of Art Clarks statement about technology vs
magic.  To the ZX-81 owner, that is indeed magic, black even. ;-)

I had one of those with the 16k ram pack, in about 1979.  My kids wiped
out the chomerics keyboard in about a week.  So it wound up in a slope
topped steel box with what may have been a TI-99 keyboard cut into the top
of the box. 99.9% empty space in the box, but the kids were happy and
still remember it today.