On 7 February 2015 at 14:59, Nicklas Karlsson
<nicklas.karls...@karlssonwang.se> wrote:
> It is possible to buy ordinary three phase induction motors with built in
> brake.

In fact I did so by mistake.

The motor on my Rivett lathe is a Demag. They make cranes. I asked the
vendor if it was a conical-rotor machine, and they assured me it
wasn't. But they were wrong.

It's quite clever. The fan-housing is stronger than normal, and holds
a friction surface, and there is a matching friction surface on the
fan rotor.
The rotor and stator are slightly conical, so as well as the torque
that any motor makes there is an axial component of the force that
pulls the brake off of the friction surface.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.