On 3/6/2015 1:52 PM, Bruce Layne wrote:

> The LCD is on an articulated arm, a little above eye level, mounted to
> the side of the large nonmetallic enclosure.  The VFD is mounted in the
> steel electrical enclosure about five feet lower.  The cables all exit
> through cable clamps in holes on the bottom of the electrical enclosure.
>
> I really need to take the digital storage oscilloscope over there to
> quantify the noise problem.  I mostly designed it with EMI in mind to
> prevent problems, then did a couple of quick and dirty obvious fixes
> (better cable routing, ferrite magic beans) that seemed likely to help
> but didn't.  It's time to get serious, figure out the real issue and
> then fix it.  My ears perked up when I saw this thread.  I was hoping
> someone would fix my problem for me.  :-)

Magnetic interference shouldn't directly bother the LCD panel like it
can a cathode ray tube. Inducing currents into the display cable via
radio or magnetic interference is where you'll get the problems.

The internal electronics of LCD monitors are usually quite well
shielded, though more likely to contain interference rather than block
it out.

Could try a tinfoil hat approach. ;-) Wrap the display cable with
aluminum tape then ground the ends to the not sticky side.

---