On 11/04/15 11:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Sounds like your next home improvement project is digging a trench
>> > around the house to bury some perforated pipe in gravel, with a
>> > geotextile lining the trench to prevent dirt infiltrating and clogging
>> > the gravel.
> That was done (obviously poorly or not deep enough) as project #1 when my
> yet to be wife bought the place in '80. Supposedly the gutters drain
> into this also, and I considered taking the sump pumps output and
> dumping it into one of those, but its far enough away I'd have to dig 3
> feet deep to get under the frost line and intercept it for a good 16
> feet of run.

Snip the advert for bad builders :)

> Sometimes you have to be smarter than the average plumber employed by a
> subdivision builder. Most aren't even qualified to run a shovel!

All sounds about par for the course ...

If access to the outside of the foundations is relatively easy then
obviously that is the way to do it right, but when there are other
restrictions preventing that ... such as the neighbours house or a
public road ... an internal solution is required, and tanking is a well
established process which can make even the wettest basement habitable.
The problem is it has to be a complete tank, but good work can recover
even basements with running water under them :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL