On Saturday 11 April 2015 05:31:44 Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On 4/10/2015 8:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > My major problem is a plug one, 2 more open next time we get a gully
> > washer.  The basement walls, while made of 12" blocks, are I believe
> > what is called a hatite block in some locales.  The outer surface
> > was given a quite visible layer of waterproofing tar, but I've not a
> > clue if it was applied all the way down the outside of the footings
> > in '74 when the place was built.
>
> Cinder blocks? Sometimes called pumice blocks but pumice is too light
> and wimpy. Lightly crushed volcanic cinder (foamy reddish lava rock)
> mixed with cement to stick it together.

No reddish tint to them.  Major content is usually fly ash from a coal
burning power plant, same light grey color as a good block is.

> It's the styrofoam version of concrete. Not for load bearing
> structural use, except for holding itself up, at which it tends to
> excel poorly. Likes to crumble in earthquakes. Absolutely not suitable
> for use as jack stands. Should be filled solid with concrete and rebar
> if you insist upon building a structure with these blocks that you
> want to be reasonably certain it will stay upright.

Geologically quiet, they almost got away with it. Tops inaccessible
without boring a hole into the block, no doubt further weakening it.

> Would likely make a heck of a mess, but if you could flood the
> cavities in the blocks with sodium silicate then let that dry after it
> drains out, followed by painting a coat of urethane resin on the
> inside of the wall, that might seal the blocks to keep the water on
> the out side. I'd finish the job by pumping the cavities full of low
> expanding urethane foam.

Which would improve the insulation at the same time. But I don't think
Dee's lungs, already in sad shape from COPD, could tolerate the odor
that never quite leaves.

> Sodium silicate was pumped into a cracked wall and surrounding soil at
> a leaking radioactive fuel storage pool at the Fukushima nuclear power
> plant, stopped the leak, might work on your basement. Might even
> strengthen the blocks and prevent unintended basement living in the
> event of an earthquake.

That doesn't seem to be a major hazard in these parts, the only one I
know of and felt in 31 years here was the one that damaged the
Washington Monument, at least 150 air miles away.  My chair I'm sitting
in did a few 1/4" circles on the rug pad at the time but nothing was
jiggled off a shelf.