On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> > On your first xauth on coyote, it looks like an IPv6 magic cookie.  Do
> > you have IPv6 enabled?  This here: [fe80::21f:c6ff:fe62:fcbb]:0 looks
> > suspiciously like some kind of local IPv6 address.  Try disabling IPv6
> > on coyote.  Ssh will automagically try to make it's connection on IPv6
> > and if it's not available, can either sit there till it times out, or
> > cause other problems.
>
> Where would I tell it to skip the IPV6 stuffs?  AFAIK, there are no ipv6
> things enabled, and my little 8 port switch does not to my knowledge
> even know what ipv6 is.  And ALL paths go thru that switch.
> >
> > You might try connecting with this string:  #ssh -4 -Y <machine? -vvv
> >
> > the -4 tells ssh to skip the IPv6 attempt and go right to an IPv4
> > connection.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I just moved my known_hosts to known_hosts.old, then reaccepted the keys
> from both machines.  Still no luck.
>
> Logging into lathe and running linuxcnc returns:
>
> gene@coyote:~$ ssh -4 -Y lathe
> The authenticity of host 'lathe (192.168.71.5)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 1a:75:8f:b3:aa:d7:83:bd:7a:5e:d3:dc:82:76:9c:4f.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added 'lathe,192.168.71.5' (RSA) to the list of
> known hosts.
> gene@lathe's password:
> Linux lathe 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc
> i686
>
> The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
> the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
> individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
>
> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by applicable law.
> Last login: Thu May  7 19:49:19 2015 from coyote.coyote.den

Okay, so far, so good.

> gene@lathe:~$ linuxcnc
> LINUXCNC - 2.8.0-pre1-602-gfa8867a
> Application initialization failed: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> Error in startup script: can't invoke "image" command:  application has
> been destroyed
>     while executing
> "image create photo -file $f/$i.gif"
>     invoked from within
> "if [file exists $f/$i.gif] {
>             return [image create photo -file $f/$i.gif]
>         }"
>     (procedure "linuxcnc::image_search" line 7)
>     invoked from within
> "linuxcnc::image_search linuxcnc-wizard"
>     invoked from within
> "set logo [linuxcnc::image_search linuxcnc-wizard]"
>     (file "/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc/bin/pickconfig.tcl" line 31)
> Application initialization failed: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"

Okay, the ssh logins are working correctly.  Now we have a Linuxcnc
problem.  Just to verify the ssh logins are working correctly, can you
bring up any other X applications, like gears, or the eyes?

> Into shop, I get this:
> gene@coyote:~$ ssh -4 -Y shop
> The authenticity of host 'shop (192.168.71.4)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 7a:b4:de:b0:7f:fa:73:24:83:7f:9f:cd:19:56:65:8a.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added 'shop,192.168.71.4' (RSA) to the list of known
> hosts.
> gene@shop's password:
> Linux shop 2.6.32-122-rtai #rtai SMP Tue Jul 27 12:44:07 CDT 2010 i686
> GNU/Linux
> Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> New release 'precise' available.
> Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
>
> Last login: Mon May  4 10:44:12 2015 from coyote.coyote.den
>
> gene@shop:~$ linuxcnc -l
> LINUXCNC - 2.6.7
> Machine configuration directory
> is '/home/gene/linuxcnc/configs/my-mill-atom-3'
> Machine configuration file is 'my-mill-atom-3.ini'
> Starting LinuxCNC...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/hal_manualtoolchange", line 62, in <module>
>     app = Tkinter.Tk(className="AxisToolChanger")
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1646, in __init__
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
> interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
> _tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/axis", line 121, in <module>
>     root_window = Tkinter.Tk(className="Axis")
>   File "/usr/bin/axis", line 44, in __init__
>     OldTk.__init__(self, *args, **kw)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1646, in __init__
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
> interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
> _tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/axis-remote", line 78, in <module>
>     t = Tkinter.Tk(); t.wm_withdraw()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1646, in __init__
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
> interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
> _tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> Application initialization failed: unknown color name "BACKGROUND"
> LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the
> log:
>     /home/gene/linuxcnc_debug.txt
> and
>     /home/gene/linuxcnc_print.txt
> as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

Okay, this kinda goes back to the same error as above - the "BACKGROUND ."
It keeps trying to invoke the 'image" command on something which doesn't
exist.  Here's one workaround I found:

"Workaround:

Create ~/.Xresources plain text file with content:

*.background: gray75

then
$xrdb -load ~/.Xresources"

This may not set up the right color for the "BACKGROUND", but try it to see
if the errors go away.

> None of which looks at all informative.
> However, the known_hosts file pair are exactly the same size.  It looks
> like, for a login and key add for 2 machines, that there is 4 keys in
> the file.  Here it is, inserted.
>

> <snippage>

> But what do I know?  Apparently not a heck of a lot.

That's normal for the keys to have two of each for each machine.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers,
Mark