Hi Dave!

On 06.06.2015 22:52, Dave Cole wrote:
> I've been around for a while and worked with current loop serial
> interfaces, rs232, rs422/485, Ethernet (back when thicknet was
> standard)  etc.
>
> Why in world would you not use Ethernet??    It leaves you with so many
> options that are not available with RS485.
>
> I would join the Ethercat group, pay them some $$, get some source code
> and use what has already been developed and use every tool that they
> have already developed.

Ethernet would be fine, yes, but also very complex from the hardware and
low-level software point of view. While thinking about it, I remember
that Beckhoff has some EtherCAT devices which use an LVDS interface
instead of real Ethernet (for very local connections), so maybe this
would still be an option, though...

> No need to reinvent the wheel.

That's why I'm asking for something standardized and open ;)

Thanks,
Philipp