On Monday 15 June 2015 06:35:17 andy pugh wrote:
> On 15 June 2015 at 03:05, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > There is not room on the spindle for a taperlock,
>
> My servo motors have a tapped hole in the end of the spindle, and I
> used this to make my own taperlock.
> I bored out the pulley with a tapered bore (on my lathe, which might
> be a bit of a catch-22 for you) and then made a thin sleeve with a
> matching taper that was split and then fitted to the motor spindle/ A
> bolt then pulls the pulley down on to the taper, squeezing it down
> onto the servo shaft and locking the pulley to it. It has worked well
> so far.
Hummmmm, this might be possible.  If the insert was pushed against the
plastic sleeve that holds the nut tension against the end bearing, and
the split was wide enough to make room for the 5x5x10mm key, and the
adjusting nut was used to push it onto the sleeve, a fit could be
achieved that might work. If the taper was similar to the steep part of
an R8 collet, it shouldn't be too hard to knock loose, steeper taper IOW
than the 7 degrees of a taperlock.  How steep should it be in order to
be more or less self releasing when the nut is loosened?  I know, look
it up in #27. :)  Steel sleeve, 100 thick hub at the bore location, its
1/2" thick now.  There are finer grooved belts than the motor pulley
has, but since the pulley is also the cooling fan, I'd druther not
change, meaning I'll have to make a rim thats wider to use the existing
poly belt, which IIRC is 9 of the more or less std groove size, or about
an inch wide. If I put the 10mm that sits on the sleeve/shaft, dead
center to the pulley face, there shouldn't be enough sideways force to
waller it out if it does work loose.  I am thinking of a sheet of 1/8"
screwed to the end of the head, bigger than the pulley, from which I can
set some pillars, the ends of which will then be where the encoders
mount will be.  The OD of the pillars would then support a swarf shield
of sorts.  I like it.

If I can find some slot interrupters that mount from the side, I should
be able to make a disk, a bit smaller that the pulley rim with the slots
in the ID.

You are always the source of a way to do it even when I am burned out,
thanks Andy.

You were the source of the Wohlhaupter idea that I have used twice now,
to extend a too short screw into the machining that should have been
done to the screw were it long enough and extend it into the end thrust
bearing and motor coupling in one case, on the lathe, the anchoring
bearing for X is the front of the slider, but the motor is off the back
of the screw.  Swarf shielding however has been a problem as its too
easy to drive it past 0.00 and crush the shielding. On the lathe the
limit/home switch is about .05mm from the end of outward travel, so if
the switch doesn't trip, neither is it crushed. Biggest problem has been
remembering to clean off the swarf on top of the carraige before hitting
ctrl+home.

> It is possible to bore a taper on a CNC milling machine but you need a
> boring and facing head.

Why? Is it not possible to write a G2 or G3 that in addition to spiraling
down, tapers as it spirals?  Maybe with the canned threading, I know I
have cut pipe tapered threads that way several times.  Just checking, I
wrapped a G33 in quite a bit of math on the lathe, and I don't see why I
could change the bit to scrape a smooth taper and run it at .002 tpmm.
Cobble job, but should work. Drive as an outside taper to 27.95mm od at
small end of cut,  then bore to 28.00mm should crack/part it off.  On
the lathe, but could be done on the mill if it had an encoder. The GO704
WILL have one.  So will the little mill, if I ever get the damned
pulleys made to make it a belt drive. :(  This one idea has started a
chain of events it may take me a year to get it all done. I hope I have
that year.  The medics are screwing around with a pulled muscle or
something thats pissing me off with the amount of time being killed just
to do a damned MRI. I've been laid up in excruciating pain for 3 weeks
last Saturday & the MRI isn't scheduled till the 23rd.  Thats bull shit,
enough of which will grow 200 bu/acre.  :(