On 6/30/2015 8:49 AM, Rick Lair wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I have seen random posts about converting Anilam controls over to Linuxcnc,
>
> We just acquired a small vertical mill that has an Anilam Crusader M
> control on it, with zero documentation. The person we bought it off said
> everything worked, but had to get a few of the boards freshened up, and
> I now I have the control powered up, I  just don't know where to go from
> here to get the servos moving.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any literature on one of these controls,
> and if so, could I please take a look at it, to try to at least get it
> moving to see where I go from there, as to whether  I put Linuxcnc on
> it, or get rid of it.

When they're working, they work. There's a few videos on youtube of
mills with the Crusader M system. They appear to be pretty slow. Another
issue is high pitched noises if the driver boards aren't adjusted just
right.

When they don't work, they can be very expensive to put back to
original. Surprisingly, the two driver boards I had were the hardest
parts to sell on eBay - despite a price well below any other on eBay or
anywhere else online.

You can connect a PC to the RS232 port to 'drip feed' G-code to it in
order to work around the small memory or if the micro tape drive is bad.

Some have bypassed or removed the Anilam computer and connected an
upgraded system to the original driver boards.

The control panel in the monitor box connects via RS232C so it could be
made to work as input for a PC control.

Run it off a Mini-ITX or Beagle Bone Black and there will be plenty of
room in the huge box for other things. Perhaps a mini fridge...

---