On 6/30/2015 11:19 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 June 2015 12:49:48 Mark Johnsen wrote:
>> Rick,

>> The reason for my retrofit was that the monitor became intermittent
>> and didn't work well at all.  I wasn't sure if it was the monitor or
>> something else (like noisy power from my 3ph converter).  After
>> contacting a company in Wisconsin (I think outside of Janesville),
>> they thought the problem was a video chip and they wanted $500 to fix
>> it and re-solder something?? After looking at the boards this past
>> weekend, I was thinking it might not have been that hard, however I
>> don't know what I don't know...
>
> It probably isn't, the usual problem with monitiors is high ESR in the
> power supply and related capacitors. You need an ESR measuring meter to
> verify, about a $200 bill for the one I am familiar with, called a
> Capacitor Wizard by its maker. $20-$40 for replacement caps, and the
> meter, is still cheaper than $500 to some guy who probably never saw a
> CET test.  I am one of those critters.

On my mill it was because the monitor literally exploded. The end of the
CRT neck was blown off and there were burned and blown up parts on its
circuit board.

So I got a mill for a decent price which became pretty close to free
after selling off all the old electrics and all the un-needed manual
parts in the head.

---