On 12.07.15 08:33, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> It takes a while for the flux in a clutch to collapse after turning the
> signal off.
> I suppose I could improve the clutch driver to short the coil to
> ground or drive it low, but some sort of delay will be needed anyway.

Probably. Is the current flowing after driver turn-off circulating
through a simple flywheel diode? That's great for protecting the driver
against the turn-off back-emf, but makes for a slower field decay than
would occur with a zener diode in series with the flywheel diode. The
higher the clamp voltage (but still well within the driver's ratings),
the more quickly the field decays. A Transorb comes to mind as a beefy
clamping device, available in just about every voltage rating you could
wish for.

There's also the question of the quality of the solenoid clutch winding
insulation. Allowing 100v of back-emf would doubtless be risking
insulation breakdown on a nominally 12v coil, for example.

Erik

--
Bertolt Brecht: Grub first, then ethics.