I guess these defects may be available although much smaller even on a
"perfect" encoder. TTL circuits quite usually have quite different rise and
fall time but I even though i did not measure I guess it may be the same for
CMOS circuits. I also expect less than perfect phase shift but I may be wrong,
it all depends on if it is equally hard to get distance between pulses on same
quadrature equally spaced as these phase.

I do speed estimation by measuring time between positive flank on one
quadrature input which is similar but do not use all four flanks. I would guess
measuring 4 sample moving average which is equal to time between four flanks
will be the best algorithm unless change of speed during this period is larger
than noise. I say his algorithm is very good.

Nicklas Karlsson