On 14.09.15 11:49, andy pugh wrote:
> On 14 September 2015 at 11:28, Erik Christiansen
> <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > With mutt, mail threads can be initially displayed collapsed, with any
> > you've contributed to shown in a different colour.
>
> At the other end of the spectrum, Gmail also does this very well.

Andy, then the maillist decriers are making poor MUA choices. ;-)
If all the GUI mail apps were hopeless, I could understand the
mechanical difficulties described upthread.

> Gmail also makes it easy to do do selective quoting, just click "in"
> the message you want to reply to, select the text you want to quote,
> and press the "reply" button or the A-key (if you have keybard
> shortcuts on)

That sounds very convenient. I had assumed that GUI mail apps couldn't
easily do that - else why so many two-line replies following 144 lines
of quote, most of which does not specifically relate to the reply?

I don't know what mutt's integral editor is like, since it allows vim to
be used instead. Clearly, with the full power of a prominent text editor
to hand, cropping the fullquote by lines/sentences/paragraphs is
straightforward. (Particularly suited for in-line replies.)

> I think my favourite-ever email client was a newsreader (MacSOUP)
> which treated emails just like Usenet NNTP, including a nice little
> thread tree at the top. But the main advantage was that you just had
> to keep tapping the space bar to have _all_ your newsgroups and mail
> just scroll past while you read it.

The Eagle newsgroup is the only one I've visited in the last decade.
I do need better newsreader or newsreader config skills, since my last
foray was a pain. (Can't remember whether it was trn or slrn, but it
would only fetch 10 posts, then squatted.)

I looked for the reverse combination - a way to read newsgroups with
mutt. At first I thought that:

newsgate - Mail to News and News to Mail Gateway

would do it, but it wasn't suitable, IIRC.

Another thing I like about maillists is the ease of making a lurker's
archive. I've squirrelled away the most informative LinuxCNC posts in
429 topic-specific mailboxes. How would one do that with a forum?

Erik
--
Forum moderator: Did you take the [End of the world on 21.05.11] doomsday
                 prediction seriously?