On 18 September 2015 at 21:41, Jeremy Jones <sp01jjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using HSM Express a lot. Works well in solidworks with a LinuxCNC
> (EMC) post and the 2.5D is free.

The only problem with it, is that is it only works integrated into
SolidWorks or Inventor.
Inside those environments it is very good, and the Pro (which you can
try on trial) is stunning.

Maybe I am biased, but I can actually imagine someone paying £7500 for
their CAD and £3100/year CAM using LinuxCNC, because of the control
you have over it, and that it makes parts about as well as the
commercial competition. I don't feel the same about any of the FOSS
CAD/CAM offerings. I suspect that this is because supporting G-code
(which is fundamentally what LinuxCNC does) is a _lot_ easier than
building a good CAD or CAM system.

I just noticed that in the Autodesk store you can actually click on a Penguin:
http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/DisplayHomePage

Though from that point on, in Mac Safari or Windows Chrome the product
links don't work. And it doesn't work at all with Windows/IE8, so I am
out of browsers. Well done Autodesk :-/

(that link doesn't seem likely to work, look at the "Platform" selector)

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.