On Saturday 19 September 2015 05:15:53 Gregg Eshelman wrote:

> Matus1976 is building a motorcycle and needed to do some precision
> plasma cutting.
>
> Watch the video for his solution.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJnrjIgVxzU

Chuckle, handheld because it wobbles.  Shade tree at its best.

The closest I had come to that is several years ago now, when I had a
furniture project going for the next door neighbors, makeing a series of
benches to be wrapped around their huge dining room table, so with backs
& some without, but all with hinged seats so the box would double as toy
storage or whatever.  The mortis and tenon operations I was determined
to do on my toy mill.

So I sawed and milled a 1" thick, by 3" wide, and 16" long alu bar out of
that monster block I had bought.  Drilled a square 4 bolt pattern in one
end for 5/16" bolts to bolt it to the front face of the head of my toy,
which I had to drill & tap.  Then I made a formfitting 2 piece clamp to
hold a $30 Chicago die grinder's nose casting after I had filed it
fairly smooth.  And did a step and repeat tapped hole pattern in the
rest of the bar so I could mount the die grinder such that it hung far
enough out over the front of the table with the general idea of letting
the end of the stick getting the tenon cut on it, hang down in front of
the steel kitchen base cabinet the toy mill sits on.

Then I made a couple holder jigs out of white ash that mounted to the
table, one to carry the horizontally running sticks while the grinder
was digging the mortis's, and to hold the vertical stick vertical while
the grinder was cutting the tenon on the end of it.  Had to fine tune
the gcode a bit to get the right glue fits, but it carved 178 of those
joints in the next 2 weeks as I assembled the box carcass's.  I still
have the jigs and the grinder, and I could get setup to do it again in a
couple hours.

Similar shade tree engineering... ;-)