Because there is no 5V on the parallel port?

Using a common 0V allows the Gecko to connect directly to the LPT port,
something that is simply not possible with the Chinese drives or others that
use 5V common.
Or I didn't understand your question...

" I got a G203V in the post today, and am confused.

Why on earth do Gecko drives use a common ground on the inputs, especially
if they're targetting the parallel port market?
Even the ching drive referred to in this discussion has it the right way, a
common Vcc.

Regards
Roland"