On 10/17/2015 3:48 PM, Bruce Layne wrote:

> Caveats:
>
> T-Mobile apparently no longer offers the unlimited data plan for
> phones.  That's a great deal.  The hot spot data plans are much more
> expensive on a per GB basis, but not a deal breaker if you need
> occasional high bandwidth internet service.

Sprint still does. I had a business plan with two Android phones and a
flip phone. Unlimited data with no slowdown throttling after a certain
number of gigs like T-Mobile's "unlimited" plans had. Unlimited texts.
Unlimited minutes outgoing or incoming from ANY other cellphone in the
USA. 1500 minutes to/from landlines - which includes WiFi calling from a
cellphone or any other calls that get routed off the cell systems.

Well, my dear mother has a friend in Georgia who likes to talk, a lot.
The Georgian apparently was using WiFi calling because she has an iPhone
with a really cheap plan. How much talk? Over 1800 minutes last month.
Nearly $60 in overage charge.

I upgraded the flip to an Android and changed from the business plan to
the Unlimited Family Share plan that has no limits of any kind, and it
will cost less than the plan I had.

Sprint is going away from the 2 year contracts, changing to "leasing"
the phones where you pay an additional amount each month until it's paid
off, but you can pay more at any time to lower the monthly charge or pay
the phone off completely. Dunno why they call it a "lease" when you are
buying the phone.

The Sprint Customer Care people are much easier to deal with than many
of them that work at Sprint stores.

My Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T did a faceplant onto a tile floor. Cracked the
(supposedly almost crack-proof) Gorilla glass and destroyed the display
and digitizer. Could still receive calls thanks to the real Home button.
(I NEVER want to own a phone without that feature.)

I bought a used Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 (not Tri-band) off eBay real cheap.
Local Sprint store said there was no way to activate it because someone
had tried and failed to change it to another carrier. Riiiight. Pull the
other one.

I called Sprint Customer Care, gave the guy the decimal IMEI and he told
me the dial command to manually start Hand-Free Setup and in a couple of
minutes it was hooked up. Same thing the store guy could have done.

If you need to copy apps and all your other data between two different
phones, WonderShare MobileTrans. Samsung Kies or Samsung SmartSwitch
will only copy text messages, call logs, contacts, lock screen settings
and other non-app stuff. They can only restore apps to the same phone it
was backed up from. MobileTrans claims to be able to restore stuff from
a Kies backup to a different phone but it's limited to the same stuff as
the Samsung software. Kies will download and install firmware updates.

On my broken phone I was fortunate in that I had USB debugging turned
on. That enabled me to use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and Vysor (an
addon for the Google Chrome web browser) to mirror the phone display to
my desktop computer and use the mouse on the virtual screen just like
touching the phone. You need to use the Android SDK manager to download
the Platform Tools (nothing else from that required) so ADB will be
setup properly. Open a command prompt where adb.exe is located then
enter ADB devices. That should run the ADB server daemon and find your
connected phone. Then Vysor *should* find your phone. (It doesn't work
with my old Photon Q that I had to switch to while waiting on my
replacement S4.)

---