On Friday 20 November 2015 07:30:49 andy pugh wrote:

> On 20 November 2015 at 11:50, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Chuck strikes would seem to be so "tool mounted" a variable as to be
> > unsolvable.
>
> I don't see why. The same area of the saddle is likely to be at risk
> of hitting the chuck jaws in must setups.
> I am not trying to protect lathe tools or the chuck jaws.
>
> One concern with any such idea would be that swarf might trip the
> sensor. Some super-clever frequency analysis might be needed (3x or 4x
> spindle speed) to tell the difference.

Vibration detection? On mine, I have probably worn off an eighth of an
inch off the nose of the compound feed since it usually hangs out in
front of the saddle.  Just one of the reasons I have considered removing
it and replacing it with a block of steel that holds the QC base about
1/2" out and to the right just to put the cutting forces back on top of
the saddle as opposed to hanging off the left of it enough to lift the
right edge against the gib strip. When the machine gets that small, the
saddle footprint on the bed gets too darned narrow, and cutting forces
can make it do things the screw didn't tell it to.  That narrow a saddle
would only be at home wearing a lantern post tool holder, which would
put the cutting forces closer to the center of its footprint on the bed.
I tried to make one, but the compound is too high, no room for the big
woodruff key and dished washer base. Getting rid of the compound and
replacing it with a thinner block would solve that problem too.

But ATM I'm trying to finish those 3 blanket chests, and seem to have
miss-laid my round tuit to take a break from that and do that sort of
thing.  I spent yesterday trying to get enough filler into and sanded
back flat, a nearly 23.5" x 41" lid panel.  I left in laying on the saw
table last night, sanded to 320 grit.  No clue how much it has warped
overnight just laying there.  I know it will, so the next step is
getting the breadboard ends fitted, which will control that quite a bit,
hopefully w/o skinning it up so my moving it around doesn't show in the
finish.

And this morning I am having trouble walking again, that pinched nerve in
my back seems to be making me think I have a cramp in the calf of my
left leg. I wrapped a heating pad around it about 5ish & managed to get
a bit more sleep though. Loaded up with vitamin B12, which is reported
to help counteract the metformin's tendency to flush it out, the
shortage of which causes leg cramps. Sigh.

I got 2 more saddle blocks in my back 2 weeks back, on the left side this
time, but they aren't working.  Getting old is not for wimps, but I seem
to be turning into one way too fast.  Heck, I still have stuff on my
bucket list!