On Friday 20 November 2015 10:47:15 andy pugh wrote:

> On 20 November 2015 at 15:30, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I have probably worn off an eighth of an
> > inch off the nose of the compound feed since it usually hangs out in
> > front of the saddle.  Just one of the reasons I have considered
> > removing it and replacing it with a block of steel
>
> Right and below-centre in this photo
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gQuPtDB0J_ZiqVVDHaf8vtMTjNZETYmy
>PJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink Is the pattern that I am taking to the
> foundry tomorrow to make just such a block for my Holbrook.

Looks quite a bit more complex than what I had in mind.  I assume you are
doing a ball screw conversion from the saddle up, using a much smaller,
geared down motor that will be hidden behind the apron.  I thought of
using a 52 oz single stack thats not quite a nema 23, but bigger than a
17.  It could do the job with enough gear down, but that might limit the
G76 entry/exit ramp rate. It did not have the cojones to drive the screw
direct.  Currently that 525 oz seems to work well, with a triple stack
23 direct on the screw, but hanging off the rear of the saddle & wanting
to lift the front way from the V-Way as its too darned heavy and too far
back.  But if I shorten that, then there really is not room for the back
of the compound, and I've crushed the swarf covers on the cross-feed
several times with the rear of the compound.

Shuffling motors around to free up one of the double stack 252 oz motors
would probably be a better deal as that would lose half a pound or more
of overhanging weight.  That alone would set it more firmly on its only
V-Way.  But there's that missing round tuit again.