On Saturday 05 December 2015 08:57:52 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings nurbs experts;
>
> I'm in the process of doing the code to carve the corner "keys" of
> these blanket chest lids.  The end decorators are 90 degree arcs of
> course.
>
> But it changes width at 1/3 the length of the key, by nominally 3/16"
> because the breadboard end is about that much longer than the lids
> panel is wide on each end.
>
> It seems to me that I don't have a small enough corner radius to pull
> two 45 degree arcs together at the meeting point in the center of of
> that 3/16" space.
>
> So I guess I'm going to test the nurbs code. :)
>
> I think 3 x,y points could do that, to specify the S curve I need.
> Start, center, end.

But when I do that, I get a straight line from A to C thru B. No curve
anyplace on the stroke. This is with a P1 in every spec. And a P.1 makes
no difference.  Does this mean I have to specify at least 5 points to
get an S-curve like the middle 75% of a capital S's height?

In G90 mode, those are very long lines of code since the variable names
are long enough to be descriptive, and would be shortened by 2/3rds with
the use of G91, and a pre-calculated array of points.  Is this practical
and doable?

The latest .pdf has only an example, and little discussion of the P & L
effects, and even that is above it in the G5.1 Cubic spline text, none
if that is excluded other than the default, which it won't let you leave
out for the P, so there is no P default in 2.7.3.  There a link to the
wiki in the pdf, but that gives source credits without fleshing out any
of the howto info at all.

> So I'll likely be back with some questions that will earn me one of
> those "here's your sign ,stupid" signs.

Prophetic?  I'm doing pretty good at that I think. :)

> Any gotcha's I should watch for?

Thanks.