On Friday 01 January 2016 10:58:37 linden wrote:

> I just put a gob as far aft as i can get (calling the end where your
> cables come out forward) It is just like sticking things together with
> a wad of gum if you are using an elcheepo glue gut it dose not get hot
> enough to wick in between any thing. Its non conductive the clear
> sticks seem to work better as they do not bond quites as well and you
> can peal it off relatively easily. the yellowy cream colored sticks
> are a more permanent glue.
>
> On 15-12-31 06:53 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 31 December 2015 21:27:52 linden wrote:
> >> Hi Gene,
> >>       I have used hot glue from a hot glue gun in the past (the
> >> Kind for arts and crafts) to hold cards in. It works well for high
> >> vibration and you can peal the glue off to get the card out if you
> >> need too. Not as good as a mechanical hold down but certainly
> >> better than nothing and not as permanent as potting compound. May
> >> be enough added stay puttedness for your application or untill you
> >> can come up with a better solution.
> >
> > Never gave that a thought, but it might be just the ticket. I don't
> > think its electrically conductive. I'm assuming you put a line of it
> > against both the socket and board?
> >
> > I can only access one side, without pulling the mainboard, which
> > might be less than optimum.
> >
> > Did you put anything against the board to keep it from wicking into
> > the socket itself?  Or does it set fast enough thats not a problem?
> >
> > Thanks for the idea Linden, I appreciate a fresh idea.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

As it turned out when I had pulled it down to where I could look at it,
the card was fully seated, my last bending of the bracket seems to have
nailed it into the socket firmly enough.  I did add a wood and alu pad
to the lid so that it can't come up more than 20 thou anyway.

That leaves the hal file I worked on to convert what was the axis a
stepgen into usable gpio on the BoB's pin 8-9 and "wired" it up to the
charge pumps outputs.  That part, FWIW, is working well since the logic
highs coming out of the BoB are at 5.08 volts.  However, sitting off
overnight emphasized that I need a bleeder on that supply, very badly.
Before powering things up today, I measured the voltage on that bank of
caps. Live, its 127, off overnight it was still showing 113 volts.  Very
low leakage caps I think. :)

So I've printed a fresh copy of the hal file to see if I can find where I
screwed up the pwmgen inputs, the enable is coming out, and reverse is
coming out, both on the proper queue & pins on the BoB.  But theres no
output on the BoB's pin 14, which is the pwmgen output, its sitting
high, which is driving the - input on Jon's pwm-servo amp.  No leds on
it, and the reset switch has no effect.  Humm, thinking out loud, I
haven't checked the volts on the pwm inputs + pin of Jon's driver, brb.
Yup, +5.08 as expected. And no pulses on the BoB's pin 14 with that wire
disconnected.

On a hal-meter, pid-s looks normal and is outputing about 5x the input
because there is no feedback from a stationary spindle.
hm2_5i25.0.pwmgen.00.value matches.

That leaves my hal file, the BoB, or the 5i25. Or a broken conductor in
the interconnecting db-25 cable.  It is screwed to the panel connectors
at both ends.  But from the diameter of that cable, even 25 pieces of 30
gauge would be bigger. That one is all of 42" long, and I don't have
another more than 30".

Now its fixed, but I've NDI why/how.

I powered everything but the computer down, stopping linuxcnc.
Pulled the db25 off the breakout boards input, found pin 14 & hooked the
ds201 to it.

Started linuxcnc up again, enabled the machine, hit the CW button and +
several times.  On the ds201 it looks like it might be 10 Hz! But very
slow attack and decay times, like it was pushing the ds201's bandwidth.

Scratching head, I gather up my fairly new Gratten gigahertz digital
scope & hook it up. But its got a ground in the line cord so I've a
ground loop from hell, picking up all 12 of the flourescent overhead
lamps in the garage & maybe some of the neighbors too, spikes 10 volts
high.  But the main signal is 5.05 volts p-p, and the frequency is
nominally 30 kilohertz, which is what it says in the .ini file, just
like its supposed to be.

Power all the stuff except the computer down again, and reconnect the
cable to the BoB. Power it back up, hit the CW button and the spindle
takes off at 100 rpm's, just like its supposed to do.  Wiggle the cable
at both ends, zero effect.

I assume the next sensible step is to get a beer?  Perhaps 2 even, after
I do something about dinner.

But this is in fact the second time it has done that. This, FWIW, it the
data output that I bypassed the opto in on that BoB, because the opto
was about 1000% too slow to handle a PWM signal that might not be 2
micro-seconds wide at low rpm's.  That, as you can imagine, played all
sorts of games with the speeds linearity, getting up to 20% duty before
the spindle even started.

Since cnc4pc has discoed the C1G BoB I really like, the one with all the
leds on it so you could SEE what the heck was going on, and that one
needs more real estate than this box has, who else has a BoB thats fast
enough & under a $90 bill in my mailbox?